Scoutmaster Position-Specific Training (SMs, ASMs), 10/14
Scoutmaster Position-Specific Training (SMPST) is the BSA’s initial level of training for adult leaders of Scouts BSA troops. It is designed primarily for Scoutmasters and Assistant Scoutmasters. However, committee members and other adults connected to a Scouts BSA troop are welcome to attend.
When Scoutmaster Position-Specific Training and Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills (IOLS) have both been completed, adult leaders are considered “Trained” and will have the tools needed to conduct an effective Scouting program.
Some procedural notes for this training course during Camporee:
- The class begins at 9:00AM and ends at 3:00PM at Camp Verdugo Oaks on Saturday, October 14, during the VHC Camporee.
- If your troop is not participating in the Camporee, bring a sack lunch.
- Registration closes Thursday, October 12 at 11:59 PM. However, if there are openings on October 14, walk-ins are welcome. There is a $5 fee for this course. Register below so we know to expect you!
- The content covered in this in-person SMPST course is required to be exactly the same as is available online at the BSA Learn Center accessed through My.Scouting.org. During the face-to-face training, the facilitator will load and run each module and then lead a short discussion following each presentation. The bonus, of course, is the chance to ask questions.
- “Hazardous Weather Training” is a module in the on-line SMPST course, but this 31-minute module must be completed on-line as a prerequisite to this in-person training. It’s available as a stand-alone module in the BSA Learn Center. Bring a copy of your completion certificate to receive credit for the SMPST course.
Registration closes at 11:59PM, October 12th.