High Adventure Team (HAT) - Basic Backpacking For Scout Leaders Training, 4/6-4/7
Does your Scout troop or Venturing crew have leaders who feel confident enough to take your Scouts on an overnight backpacking trek?
The Verdugo Hills Council High Adventure Team (HAT) is presenting an introductory course on backpacking for Scout leaders with an emphasis on backpacking with Scouts. This course is designed for registered adult Scout leaders who wish to learn about the fun that backpacking can add to Scouting. It is also an opportunity to build on your outdoor skills and leader training and develop the confidence to hike more safely, backpack & camp with your unit.
Participants will take part in an overnight backpacking trip, hiking approx. 2 mi. each way, to Cooper Canyon Campsite in the Angeles National Forest (subject to change). They will use the packing list below and when they arrive at the departure location they will take part in a bag check and distribution of crew equipment and food.
Subjects covered during the course include navigation, hiking techniques, campsite selection and setup, food & cooking, personal & troop gear, clothing & layering, weather, health & safety and water treatment as well as other topics you need to know to plan and conduct a safe, rewarding troop/crew outing. The importance of training and transferring leadership to your Scouts is stressed.
• Meet at Park and Ride Lot, 1939 Verdugo Blvd., La Canada Flintridge, CA 91011 on Saturday, 4/6 @ 8:00 AM. From there, we will carpool to the trailhead.
• Due to limited parking at the trailhead, participants will need to carpool from the Park and Ride to the trailhead.
• Return to Park and Ride on Sunday, 4/7 @ 12:30 PM.
• Cost: $25, includes food. Registration closes on 4/3 at midnight.
• Open to registered Scouters, 18 years and older, limited to 12 participants.
• Instructors: Craig Harris, Daniel Martinez
• Each person is responsible for bringing his/her own clothing and equipment from the packing list that will be provided.
Registration is open through 11:59PM, April 2nd or until capacity is reached.
|Flyer - Basic Backpacking For Scout Leaders Training
|Share with unit leadership!