UPDATE to Cub Camping, Effective September 1, 2023
Cub Camping, Verdugo Hills Council
Effective September 1, 2023 Cub Scout Packs who are conducting their own overnight camping activity may now camp up to two consecutive nights. Cub Scout packs who are conducting their own overnight camping activities MUST continue to have one registered adult leader who is trained in Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation (BALOO), oversees the planning and is in attendance for the pack campout. This updated policy also applies to Webelos and Arrow of Light dens who conduct den-coordinated campouts. They are also allowed to do so for two nights, but must meet the same requirement of having a BALOO-trained, registered adult present on the campout.
REMINDER: Cub Scout camping is limited to Verdugo Hills Council and council-designated locations with appropriate facilities.
Amenities for Cub Scouting that are required:
1. The camping site is clean and safe from hazards.
2. The site is not located near any natural or manmade hazards.
3. Campsite areas are available for tents.
4. Facilities are available for PROPER sanitary disposal of garbage.
5. Potable drinking water from an approved source is provided at convenient locations.
6. Emergency medical services (EMS) are available within 30 minutes from site.
7. Cellular phone service is available.
8. If fires are permitted, an adequate fire lay area is provided.
9. Any individual site hookups provided for electricity, water or sewer meet all appropriate local and state health codes.
10. Each family site is located within 300 feet of a sanitary toilet facility.
11. Shelter is available for program during inclement weather.
The Verdugo Hills Council pre-approves sites with potable running water and within 30 minutes of medical services (EMS) that are owned and maintained by:
Units must do their own due diligence on CURRENT conditions as some camps may not be appropriate depending on the seasons. Units must also make sure to have plans in place for inclement weather and medical emergency.
The following camps are approved by VHC for Cub camping:
|Camp Verdugo Oaks VHC BSA
|Camp Josepho BSA
|Calico Ghost Town
|Camp Balboa BSA
|Fiesta Island Youth Camp
|Mataguay Scout Reservation BSA
|Santa Fe Dam
|Cabrillo Beach BSA
|Emerald Bay Camp
|Three Falls BSA
|Camp Pollack BSA
Request a camp evaluation.
If a campsite that you use or would like to use is not on the approved list, please submit a completed evaluation form and we will consider adding the site to the list. Download the Pack Overnight Campout Appraisal Form and submit to CVO Campmasters at CVO@vhcbsa.org. Please allow three months for site approval.